This week’s group meeting featured low-carb success story Jason Jodway. Dr. Tro and health coaches Amy Eiges and Brian Wiley talked to Jason about his inspiring story and how he overcame obesity using a low-carb approach to lose over 300 pounds.
- Dr. Tro began the meeting by talking about a study that showed how ketogenic, low-carb diets outperformed Weight Watchers and low-fat diets for weight loss. Not only did low carb outperform the other diets, but the data showed people were more compliant and likely to stick with it long-term.
- Jason started to have weight issues as early as 5 years old, even though he was eating the same things as the kids he noticed his appetite was higher than theirs.
- Once in high school, Jason remembered being told to eat “human portions” by his peers – although he followed the directions given to him by nutrition professionals, he was not able to get any results. He just figured he was “different.”
- Jason found low carb after having recurring nightmares about dying and becoming increasingly panicked about his health. The first thing he noticed about low-carb living was how simple it was and he could finally feel full from food.
- Jason credits his success to working at keeping the bad messaging out, controlling his environment, and minimizing the damage of difficult situations and foods by planning safety nets.
- Jason noticed that once his stress was better and weight was coming off, his all-around health and mental well-being were improved.
- Jason is now down to around 195 lbs. He estimates he has lost around 315 pounds.
- He attributes the weight-loss maintenance to getting enough sleep and prioritizing stress relief. He also pays attention to processed foods and avoids salting and smoking his meats because they are a trigger that can often cause him to overeat.